Friday, May 28, 2010

How Cute is THIS!?!

Alright... I was not an immediate sushi lover but over the past 4 years I have seen the light!!! There is nothing better than sushi to make you feel happy, healthy and satisfied.

In my younger days I would have avoided sushi (or anything from the sea for that matter) like the plague. I still know plenty o people who are not yet on board the sushi train - but they don't have to miss out!!! Check out the extra cute idea below that a super mom came up with.
Way to go lady!

candy sushi

candy sushi by mommyknows

Here’s how it’s done:

candy sushi

rice krispie treats

I used this recipe to make up a batch of Rice Krispie squares. I added 8 extra marshmallows to the recipe to make sure they wouldn’t be too crispy. I used the microwave instructions, they worked perfectly.

candy sushi

trimmed

Once they had cooled, I trimmed up the slabs of Rice Krispie treats into nice neat rectangles and stacked them on wax paper for the party. I wanted to make it as easy as possible for the kids.

candy sushi

ready for the party

In the end, I made 3 full batches of Rice Krispie Squares one after the other, to get 8 thin slabs for the party and a couple of practice slabs. It took about 20 minutes total.

I’ve never made candy sushi before, so I thought I’d better practice before I tried it out on the kids.

candy sushi

twizzlers and gummy worms work well

Add candy. I bought colored twizzlers, gummi worms, jujube fish and fruit roll-ups.

candy sushi

roll tightly

Roll the Rice Krispie treats around the candy.

candy sushi

looking good

Don’t roll it more than one full roll. You don’t want it to be too thick.

candy sushi

trim excess

Trim the excess with a sharp knife.

candy sushi

sticky sweet

Once you’ve trimmed the roll, wrap the fruit roll up around it (squeeze). Green fruit roll-ups would be best, but I couldn’t find them. I left the plastic wrap on my roll-up while I applied it to the candy, none of the kids bothered to do this. It works well both ways, just make sure to remove it before cutting.

candy sushi

adult supervision required

Now it’s time to cut your candy roll into to cute California roll style sushi. You’ll need a sharp knife to get through the gummy worms and twizzlers in the center.

candy sushi

all 10 fingers intact

For all the worry-warts out there, the cutting was accompanied by repeated safety warnings. She survived the cutting with all of her fingers in tact.

candy sushi

pretty candy sushi

The nice thing about not finding green fruit roll-ups is the pretty product. I’m loving the colors.

candy sushi

candy nigiri roll

I made the slabs long enough for each child to make two rolls of candy sushi. They then used any leftovers to make a Nigiri style sushi. I also gave each of them a ‘bento box’ to take home their creations. It curbed the urge to eat it all.

candy sushi

candy sushi by mommyknows


2 comments:

  1. Do you spend a lot of time on the Mommy knows website????? ;) ;) Aunt Gene likes! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm... no.
    It was my first time Auntie GENE!

    ReplyDelete